What is Graphic Design? A beginner’s introduction
I thought it might be useful to explain what we mean by graphic design as it’s a term that’s used a lot but often not explained. First, I looked up a dictionary definition and found this first which seemed a much more traditional view of it as an art or profession:
…but it’s so much more, particularly if you want to stand out on social media!!
I thought this was a much better definition - the combination of images, words and ideas to convey information to an audience.
What is graphic design?
Our definition of graphic design is:
- A way for businesses to communicate with their target market using ideas and concepts in a visual form;
- A set of design principles, processes and elements which are easy to learn and work universally;
- The way of expressing YOUR ideas, concepts and products in a way that is attractive to your target market.
What graphic design is not…
- About being able to ‘use the software’;
- Being a fantastic artist;
- Just creating logos!
It’s about creating a brand that WORKS for you.
Why do we use it?
Graphic design solves problems by presenting your solutions visually to your potential customers.
- how to attract new customers and/or clients to your products or services and retain existing customers and/or clients.
Your customer’s problem…
- Customers buy solutions not products.
- Always think of the problem your customer is trying to solve and then decide how you can help them!
- Graphic design unites the problem with the solution in the most easily accessible way - visually!
- As sight is our primary sense, it has been proved that over 90% of what attracts us first to anything (yes - ANYTHING!) is visual.
So can you Be Your Own Graphic Designer?
If you have had an idea for a business and have thought about your concept and your target audience…
If you have access to a computer (we use a regular PC laptop, you don’t need to have a Mac!) and can use a mouse…
We can help you learn what you need to know 🙂
By using the amazing tools that are available online now such as Canva, Stencil, Crello, Pixellied and loads of others. Our favourite is Canva!